Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 14 - National Friday Wear Programme - Take 2

We received our new Ghanian outfits this week!!  The dressmaker came through with the finished goods right in time for our second Friday in Ghana.  Our schedule called for a 9:00 AM status meeting in Accra so this would be a perfect opportunity to show off our new clothes.

For someone who has not worn a dress and heels in well over 15 years, I can only say that I have a new found appreciate for the Ghanaian women who wear their "kabas and slits" with such style and grace.  I had a hard time walking in mine - and you should have seen me trying to get in and out of the truck for the ride between Tema and Accra this morning. 


Joanne in my kaba and slit

I have to say that I got more complements today wearing my outfit than I have had on any single day other than my wedding day.  It  started first thing at the hotel with the hotel staff, then the drivers, and so on.  I think the Ghanaians really appreciated our efforts to participate in this part of their culture. 

My Ghana 6 teammates also wore their new Ghanaian clothes - even Denis (Brazil).  Everyone that is, except Ranga (India), who is hiding back in the second row dressed in jeans :-)


The Ghana 6 ECG team with Barbara (CDS)

I also have to say that we got more that a few strange and bemused looks from the ECG employees that were unfamiliar with our team as we walked around the ECG offices today.  I think our multi-national team is a bit of a spectacle at any time but when we all showed up in traditional Ghana wear it was jaw-dropping for some!

Our ECG clients also wore their traditional wear today.  If you look closely in the picture, you will see that both Enyonam and Millicent are wearing cloth with the ECG (Electrical Company of Ghana) logo.  This would be likened to us wearing dresses made with an IBM logo or someone from Ontario Hydro wearing dresses displaying the Hydro One fabric.   Apparently ECG has 3 separate fabrics for traditional wear - including one to be worn for celebration and one to be worn for funerals.

Millicent and Enyonam wearing
traditional wear with the ECG logo


How's that for another interesting day in Ghana?

1 comment:

  1. I recently learned of National Friday Wear from a Ghanaian coworker. I'm American and I love African prints! I would love see more people wearing these beautiful fabrics.

    You and your team look awesome, except Ranga, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete